Saturday 4 February 2012

Captain my Captain

The FA finally ended the reign of John Terry as England Captain following the announcement that Terry's trial for allegedly racially abusing a fellow professional,Anton Ferdinand, had been put back until after Euro 2012. I support that decision 100%, but I dont understand why it was not made immediately after the incident. This is not to prejudge the issue, but to protect the national team from a distracting and unwelcome side issue. The team comes before the individual, which is the way it should always be in a team sport. I do understand why John Terry did not immediately resign 'for the good of the game and the team'. John Terry has never in my opinion acted for the good of the game or the team. He is a self serving individual who has brought the England captaincy to new levels of disrepute, not once, but on a number of occasions. How on earth did we reach a situation where somebody is so disrespected by his fellow professionals that an entire handshaking ritual has to be cancelled?
 Call me old fashioned, I plead guilty, but I want a role model 'Bobby Moore type figure' for my kids to admire and my idols to follow. There have been all too few in recent years. You might say 'David Beckham', but again I don't want a cult of personality, I want the personification of team not self!
So Terry is gone and let us not mourn. He lets it be known that he is bitter about his treatment by the FA, but he still wants to be selected for England. Unsurprising this lest he be swiftly forgotten and less marketable. Although defeating my own argument, how marketable are tarnished goods? Certain sponsorship deals involving Terry have already been 'watered down'.
I cast my eyes around for my 'Bobby Moore'. A new era and a new respectability. So many fall down on so many fronts. So few are certain of selection and so many have questionable past histories. A national newspaper suggested Ashley Cole. Please! Whilst I cannot fault his performances for England, I cannot find a single good reason to overcome years of self inflicted bad press in his case. Steven Gerrard, I cannot stand the thought of his dreary post match interviews. Wayne ... forget I mentioned it and anyway he is not available for the first 2 games - I remind myself why!
One player does however spring to mind. Aged 11 he was juggling a ball in a famous TV advert. He has quietly gone about his business for years. He arrived at Spurs this season largely unheralded, but has impressed with his calm authority and effectiveness. He is now a shoe - in for England selection. Step up Scott Parker and restore some pride to the armband.

2 comments:

  1. Don't know Scott Parker but good riddance John Terry x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very interesting an unprecedented case.. In over 150 years of English soccer, no player has ever been prosecuted for words said on the pitch..? My opinion is that that the FA won't suspend him. I remember that Steven Gerrard from FC Liverpool was charged with affray in 2008. and he continued to play for England.
    I'm also old fashioned like You, and I think that professional players must be very responsible of their behavior on the field, especially when kids watch match on TV. Terry is being prosecuted under a 'racially aggravated public order offense', and what could be the maximum sentence for that offence?
    Unfortunately, racism, despite the unbelievable comments of FIFA president Sepp Blatter (that 'there is no racism' in football?!), has become a hot button issue in international soccer!

    ReplyDelete